Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thursday's Pulmonary Appointment

On Thursday Chloe had her Pulmonary check up. While we were in the office waiting to be called upon a child collapsed on the floor. All of the sudden nurses, doctors, and 2 lab technicians came running. I did my best to shield my daughter from what was going on but Chloe was so concerned about the little girl she wouldn’t stop looking. I told Chloe lets go for a walk but still she wouldn’t budge. I even tried carrying her away but Chloe protested. As the lab technician took blood from this little girl Chloe asked me if the little girl was going to be okay. I told Chloe, I hope so. I also explained to my daughter that the little girl is in the hospital and the doctors will take very good care of her. I couldn't bare to look at what was taking place. I felt so bad and just wanted to walk away. I finally had to tell my daughter that it’s not nice to stare or to be noisy and we should give the little girl space. It was then that Chloe listened to me and walked away with me. As we sat, on the other side of the room, Chloe still remained focused with what was going on. After a while, Chloe started watching TV. But, once in a while she would turn her head to the little girl who was now being carried away on the stretcher. I am not sure but I believed the little girl had cystic fibrosis.

Another nurse came out and called Chloe’s name. After the routine check we went into our room. Chloe’s doctors recommend that we take her off Singular because of her anxitey and insomnia. Chloe always had sleeping problems. She has always had a hard time falling asleep and out last my husband and me. She seems to be anxious a lot more and does have her mood swings. Chloe's doctor told me that studies have been done on Singular and it has been linked to aggressive behavior, anxiousness, dream abnormalities, hallucinations, depression, insomnia and irritability. He then asked me to keep a log on her for the next 3 weeks documenting her moods, sleep patterns, and anxiety. Chloe was first put on singulair when she was 3 years old. The medication was used to help decrease the number of asthma attacks that Chloe had. It was also used to help decrease her hay fever.

For more side effects on this drug or to learn more about it please visit the following sites:

http://www.medicinenet.com/montelukast-oral/article.htm
http://www.fda.gov/Cder/drug/early_comm/montelukast.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montelukast

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow - What a scary thing to see and experience.

Praying and hoping the latest tests are all good. Glad to hear of the medication drop. Always a good thing!

HUGS!