Tuesday, March 17, 2009

BRADY & PDD NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified)

The other day, I stated in a blog entry, that a syndrome, disorder or a disability does not define my child. What makes my child is their unique personality. I love both my kids for who they are and a label does not change a mother’s unconditional love.

Recently, my two-year-old son received a diagnosis of PDD NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified). From what I have read, this disorder neurologically based. My son will need intervention aiming at his social-commutation skills and behavior.

What is PPD NOS? PPD NOS is part of the Autism Spectrum Disorders also know as Pervasive Developmental Disorders. This is a condition in which some of the characteristic of Autism are feature - but not all. The child may only have a few symptoms. PDD NOS is also refers to as “Atypical personality development”, “Atypical PDD”, or “Atypical Autism”. Like Heterotaxy, no two children with PDD NOS are alike. Therefore, children have uniqueness about them. One child may have language delay as to where the other child has more of a social development delay and the other may not have a behavior pattern. PDD is very confusing and its terminology does not help one make sense of it all. Nevertheless, In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), you will find PDD NOS where it describes as to having an impairment of social interaction, communication, and/or stereotyped behavior patterns or interest, but don’t meet the requirements to be diagnosed with a specific disorder under PDD.

How am I coping with it? It has been about one week since my meeting with the Developmental Center at Children’s. I am still having a hard time coming to grips with my son’s diagnosis. It was heartbreaking to hear the words come out of the doctor’s mouth. Most of all, I had a hard time grasping at the material that he was handing me about Autism. Yes, I was in shock. I was going through the motions, but it was as if I was not there. That it was someone else hearing the news – not me. My first thought, was how unfair it was. Not only does Chloe have a rare syndrome and learning disability, but now Brady also had a disorder. It was indeed a tough day for me. I knew in my hearts of all hearts that something was not right with my son. I know he has a speech delay, he likes to peel labels, and he likes to stack things, and tends to be shy around people. However, I wanted to be wrong. I wanted to hear from the doctor that Brady would out grow this; that this was only a phase. Most of all, I did not want confirmation on what I suspected.

However, I do know the sooner he gets help the easier it will be for him. Most of all, it is not about me but my son. How can I help him right now? What is my next step? Those are the questions I had. Right now, I am looking into an ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) program. From what I have read on the internet, ABA is a proven method that will help my son with skills that he will need. The teaching method is broken into small parts so it makes it easier for him to learn. Brady, will receive a reward with every task that he meets. The positive reinforcement will also help him in maintaining the skills that he learned. Since August, a speech therapist from Early Intervention has been working with him twice a week. I do notice a difference in him. I hope it will continue and gain strength now that ABA will be involved.

Like any mother out there, I want the best for my kids. I want to ensure that life is easy for them. It breaks my heart when my kids have to face certain challenges in life. I have faith in Brady and Chloe. I believe in my children and no matter what they have my support. I will guide my children in whatever they need. I am the strongest advocate my kids have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a friend just mentioned this to us - what God has given, He has a way to put it right.

things are always gonna be difficult in the beginning... and i can't say how much more diffcult it is for you to handle all this.

good luck and stay strong yeah? and yes, we are our kids best advocate.

phrensy said...

was reading your entries but didn't see the links til after i was done commenting. just wanted to say thanks for linking!

juliah

Janet said...

Our son was diagnosed with either Asperger's Syndrome or PDD-NOS last fall. We had been expecting the diagnosis so it didn't really come as a shock. He's seven and I've been putting off having him tested for about 4 years now. Our experience has taught me several important things: My son is the same child now that he was before the diagnosis. The diagnosis didn't change him. Time has a way of changing and improving things. Our son at 7 is much more functional than he was at 3. We have not done intensive interventions- although we did start down that road when he was 3. Treat any child like a thinking, feeling human being and involve them in daily life and they will adapt. Autism is not a life sentence with no chance of parole. My family has several adult members that would most likely be diagnosed with high functioning autism of one form or another. They are happy, involved, employed, well-adjusted members of the community. Our goal (as a family) has never been external conformity. We strive for excellence in all aspects of life- and that's the lesson we try to teach our children. My aspie son understands that the world looks different to different people. He is different in speech and mannerism than some of his peers. He also has a much better grasp of math and physics than most high school students. Conformity and lots of friends are not the most important parts of life. High functioning autistic individuals can still make friends and participate in group activities, they may just take a little longer to pick up the social cues. Having an involved and caring parent like you will almost guarantee that your son will excell in life.